Choosing to make changes to your homes décor is always exciting, but it comes with its fair share of daunting decisions too. When it comes to flooring, we know that it can be overwhelming. Colour and style variations are almost endless, and what if you choose something that’s just a fleeting fad? Or what if it just can’t stand up to the hurly-burly of a modern family home?
Our handy guide is here to help. We’ll show you the latest flooring trends that we’ve seen so far in 2018, which range from some simple, classic styles to some that haven’t been on the scene for too long. Spending money on flooring is an investment, so the very last thing you want is to find out that your choice is entirely outdated in two years’ time, which is why we offer our take on whether each style is a passing phase or one that’s here to stay.
What Flooring Trends Have We Seen in 2018?
Trends across solid surfaces such as wood, tile, vinyl and laminate have been very consistent during 2018. Manufacturers such as Amtico and Karndean have continued to create flooring which replicates the natural look and feel of wood and stone.
Flooring trends don’t change nearly as much as they do in other sectors, but thanks to advancing technology it’s an industry that’s very much in a transitional period, here’s our rundown of the top five flooring products we’ve seen so far this year:
- Wood-Look Flooring – This isn’t something that’s new to 2018. Wood-look in laminate, vinyl and ceramic tiling has been on trend for a few years now, with no sign of a dip in popularity.
- Textured Flooring – Textured flooring borrows its look from a classic hardwood. Handscraped, wire-brushed and fully distressed flooring are trendy looks these days.
- Environmentally Sourced – Looks weren’t the only thing that customers had on their minds in 2018. Environmentally friendly products are very much in the conscious of the buying public.
Flooring Colour Trends
This year, trends have moved more towards light and airy looks, which lend themselves to minimalist or warm homely styles, depending on the colour.
We have a lot of products in the following colours grow in popularity this year:
- Grey – Grey flooring, especially grey wood, has been a feature in our showrooms for a long time now and shows no signs of going out of fashion.
- Blonde – More homeowners, have recognised the potential of blonde coloured flooring for its timeless look and ability to make a room look bigger.
- Whitewash – Whitewash gives your home a brighter and more relaxed vibe. It can offer a minimalist or contemporary feel.
- White – Because white flooring, is well, white, it offers a tremendous amount of flexibility when it comes to furniture and interior design.
- Honey – A bit darker than blonde, honey flooring offers a lovely homely and luxurious feel to any room.
What Can We Expect in 2019?
We can expect to see demand for wood-look flooring and textured flooring bleed into 2019 and beyond. Classic white colours will always offer homeowners the flexibility to work around their interior design, and for this reason, white will forever stay on trend.
Grey flooring has been incredibly popular for the last few years and shows no sign of a drop off in popularity anytime soon. Blonde oak is the new grey, in terms of a style that has come back into fashion and looks set to become something of a classic look.
Honey colours offer a cosy and warm touch that has the potential to stay on trend for years.
What Carpet Trends Have We Seen in 2018?
Carpet is still the number one for customers at Colourbank, even with all the other options available a carpet is still the go-to option for most.
The latest and most modern carpets focus on elements such as colour, pattern, texture and plushness in addition to stain proofing and waterproof backing. Consumers are no longer purchasing carpets in the hope of them lasting for ten, fifteen or twenty years. They are far happier to buy something that suits their lifestyle and tastes and upgrade in five or six years.
This trend shift means that customers expect something that fits with their living space in terms of style and function at various price points.
Here’s a run-down of what we’ve noticed so far this year:
- Striped Stair Carpets – Striped carpet on the stairs is something that we’ve noticed is declining in popularity. While still popular, we see less demand.
- Grey Continues to Dominate – As we’ve already mentioned, grey is incredibly popular due in part to its versatile, with most choosing either grey or beige.
- Consumer Driving Industry – Because consumers are happy to spend more cash on a more frequent basis, this is driving manufacturers to innovate to meet customer expectation.
What Can We Expect in 2019?
We’d expect to see low pile height carpets rise in popularity, they are not only easy to clean, but they don’t suffer from unsightly marks from door opening arcs or furniture.
As our lives are getting busier and more hectic, the desire to turn a home into a sanctuary of sorts is becoming stronger. Carpet designs are shifting to suit all tastes, and we see everything from contemporary and futuristic, to that which harks back to a by-gone era, this trend will only grow in 2019 as people look to assert their individual personalities into their homes.
For any questions on anything we’ve talked about in this blog, or any of our other products, contact us today, or better yet, pop down to either our Crest Rise or Cavendish Road superstores to see our exceptional range of top-quality brands in person.